Trusscore Wall&CeilingBoard can be installed directly to bare studs or on top of drywall. If you’re installing the panels on top of another wall material, you’ll need to install an electrical box extender on any light switch or outlet to match the thickness of the Trusscore panels.
- When installing Trusscore Wall&CeilingBoard on top of drywall, you’ll need to install electrical box extenders on any light switches or outlets in the room to match the thickness of the Trusscore panels
- With a few simple tools and some newly purchased electrical extenders, you can install them in six simple and repeatable steps
In this two-minute video, we show you exactly how to install electrical box extenders, so your light switches and outlet covers sit flush against Trusscore panels for a seamless finish. Want step-by-step instructions in writing? We outline them all below.
What tools and materials do I need to install an electrical box extender?
The list of tools and materials you’ll need to install an electrical box extender is very short. You’ll need:
- A flathead screwdriver
- A star (Phillips) screwdriver
- A tape measure
- One electrical box extender per light switch or outlet (you can find these at your local hardware or home improvement store)
And that’s it! With these tools and materials on hand, you’re ready to start installing your electrical box extenders.
What steps should I take to install an electrical box extender?
Installing an electrical box extender is a relatively simple process that only requires six steps:
- Shut the power for the room off at the main circuit breaker. It’s a good idea to check the outlet or switch to ensure the power has been shut off with something like a voltage tester or lamp.
- Remove the switch or outlet cover. Then, remove the switch or outlet itself by removing the top and bottom screws.
- Slide the electrical box extender around the outlet or switch. During this step, you’ll have to maneuver the outlet or switch to pull it through the electrical extender. Then, you can push the electrical extender into the existing electrical box in the wall.
- Using the long screws that came with the extender, re-attach the outlet or switch. Insert the long screws through the tabs on the outlet or switch, through the extender, and into the existing electrical box.
- Using a tape measure or a piece of a Trusscore panel, set the depth of the extender to match the Trusscore material you’re using. For reference, Trusscore Wall&CeilingBoard has is ½" thick while Trusscore SlatWall is 5/8” thick.
- Cut your Trusscore panels tight against the electrical box and place the outlet or switch cover on top of the Trusscore panel for a professional look.
If you have more than one light switch or outlet in the room that needs to be extended, repeat steps two through six. If you move to a new room, start again at step one.
Need more help with your Trusscore Wall&CeilingBoard or Trusscore SlatWall installation? Check out the Installation Hub, where we store our QuickStart Guides, Installation Guides, Trusscore Tips videos, and more.
Products for Electrical Box Extender Installation
Trusscore Wall&CeilingBoard is an ideal drywall replacement that’s durable, easy to install, and easy to clean. The wall and ceiling panels are perfect for many different residential, commercial, and agriculture applications.Learn More